If a space claims to offer residencies, does it mean they should provide free accommodation and food for the hacker(s) in residence?
'Hopefully there is some means of financial support including but not limited to: travel fare, housing, food, general living costs, and perhaps other costs like insurance or materials.'
'away from their usual environment and obligations'.
So if I have to work a 'day job' to pay for my board, I don't think it counts as a 'residency'.
Duh. It's still a residency if you have to pay to reside there.
You can also consult the page you've linked.
Residency programs utilize a wide range of financial models. In some situations, residents must finance their own stay, finding funding and support from their own countries and networks. There are also residency programs that provide part or all of the required finances to invited guests.
So a hotel can say 'we offer residencies'? I think not. When I hear residency I think of more than just a cheap hostel that has some people with similar interests staying there.
The meaning of a residency is well established though.
Yep. So CHT does not offer residencies.
(moved some stuff from main page here)
People interested in hacker residences
Add yourself here
- User:wrought and User:Tunabananas of Sudo Room
- User:dcht00 of Cyberhippietotalism
- User:average of Santa Fe Complex
- Xtreme6400 of IT-Syndikat
- List of residencies
- verify these spaces can actually host
- ability to express residency details ("what you can do where" etc)
- TODO: fix location coordinates on those missing <- there is probably a query to find these ... like "if location field is empty" - don't know how to write it... ^Dcht00
- There ought to be some way of seeing who's done what, where, when ... also to ease booking
- could use BeWelcome or sth similar?
- make sure residence hacklabs list their tools etc more - they need to be more open to the outside in this regard than usual hackerspaces tending to locals!
- more general resources on hacker travel & hackbases (links)
- promote "Residency" attribute
- does Space API support it? properly?
- talk about hackbases