|State or District||Sicily|
|Date of founding||2001/01/01|
|IRC||irc.dyne.org -ssl port 9999 #freaknet|
Via Carnevale 17, Palazzolo Acreide, Italy
|Number of members||20+"+" can not be assigned to a declared number type with value 20.|
|Size of rooms||20|
|Location||37° 4' 0.69" N, 14° 54' 24.56" E|
Poetry Hacklab was born during a late night brainstorming in 2002. The main idea was to join together poetry and programming.
This hacklab hosts regular meetings and has many projects actives.
The most important project is the Working Computer Museum: not only a simple collection of historical and power machines, but a resource for a sort of multiple learning platform; it can be visited in real and used actively, also from remote - some computers are connected to internet, there are free accounts, so they can really be "used". The basic idea is to revert the classical museum structure where objects are "dead" under a glass table or in a closed shelf, to let people USE, LEARN and HACK on those ancient computers. This obviously have many implications: using old computers can break them, so the activities are well organized to prevent damages of any kind.
At Poetry Hacklab, as part of Freaknet and the dyne.org network, we're working on our project called Netecology, about people and their relationship with quality of life: there we discussed problems related to life style and rhythms nowadays. The result of the realized laboratory projects will be a sort of Techno-Eco-Village, created using our skills to join together electronics, computing and ecology. The village will host a program for artist in residence to give to people what they need to "retire" for study reason or for finishing a project, all the necessary peace and quality of life to do so.
Topics of our study are:
- Biologic Food and agriculture.
- Development of "Green Energy": wind, solar, photovoltaic, etc.
- Recycling: materials, electronics, structures, etc.
- Buildings: how to make walls, ceilings, habitations, architectural projects.
- Survival tips: tools, edible plants, how to find food/water, orientation, etc.
- Edible plants around us. The local people KNOW what is edible, healing. Recover the historical memories and traditions of the residents.
- Relative courses and workshops. ex.: how to recover materials, structures to produce energy at low cost using low-tech technology.
Other projects and activities:
- Polli Fritti: Hardware and Software for a free wireless network to be spread in the town and in the rural areas, using modified hardware and the Netsukuku network structure. The title means "Fried Chickens", and it's a joke about creating so powerful antennas that can be used to fry birds directly in the sky, making them fall all over the city (it's only a joke! :)
- Troppo caffe' poco cervello: a 3 or 4 day meeting in wich people can join together, to work on a particular project and have massive brainstorming, or to do some hacking session on computers and hardware, or simply to have fun in the lab with our computers and stuff. This goes on for all day and night. People are encouraged not to sleep at all: the meaning of title is "Too much coffee, too little brain" :)
- Online gaming: Some night at Poetry Hacklab we open our space to people that came in to enjoy free videogaming and our activities.
Other activies includes poetry sessions, painting, coding, courses, lectures and other things.
Parts of the Poetry Hacklab:
- Exibition of hardware and software (a part of the museum itself)
- Library for books, schematics and manuals
- Software Library for old software, tapes, cd-roms, disks, images, backups...
- The Electronic Lab: where broken computers can be fixed/restored; instrumentations, components...
- The Recycling Lab: where parts are dismembered to recover components.
- Documentation: sheets, brochures, demos, web site, videos, material for students and visitors
We need a greater place, because we have many activities that cannot start, due to lack of space. This is our main problem, that limit us in developing our projects.