State or District
Date of founding
Ghoomakad, Near Rakkar Ground, Rakkar, Sidhbari
Number of members
"Variable" is not a number.
The annual cost of running the base is between Rs. 800000, to Rs. 900000. This includes rent, groceries, internet, electricity, maintenance etc. Per member cost varies as per the strength of the hackbase.
Size of rooms
Open to Residencies?
|Location||32° 11' 55", 76° 22' 1"|
- 1 Introduction
- 2 The intent of Infinity
- 3 Ghoomakad hackbase, the ground Zero of Infinity
- 4 What we expect from you
- 5 What we offer
- 6 Location and Background
- 7 The Space
- 8 Local Organizations and Communities
- 9 Other Village resources
- 10 Places nearby
- 11 Past Events
- 12 References
Infinity is an open network of seekers, communities and physical spaces across the world, cleaning up, organising and creating a fertile ground for the dawn of a new era, where humans will realise their true potential and there will be undiscriminating Oneness and Love, and Peace. Our members, their way of living, and their work, are a reflection of the Intent of Infinity.
Ghoomakad hackbase is the first host space of Infinity. We are always open to new people, spaces and communities working for human growth, peace and love, joining the umbrella of Infinity.
For more details of Ghoomakad hackbase and its/Infinity's current projects, scroll a bit below. If you can, you should invest five minutes for reading the intent of Infinity, to get what this is really about.
The intent of Infinity
A network of birds of all colours,
beings of peace and love,
exploring the undiscovered and also the forgotten,
exciting possibilities that exist in living
right here, right now.
In a world suffering from individualism, war and hatred, our Infinity is the bridge between the microcosm (Individual, me, wave) and the macrocosm (Universe, collective, ocean). A bridge where there is a perfect balance and connection between the I and the Rest, the left and the right, the christian and the muslim, the man and wife. The human and nature.
Infinity spaces and its members are and always must be, free of the kind of likes, dislikes and rigid disagreements that destroy and drain our energy, time and crucial life resources. Things that make life miserable and unsustainable. Every member will foster a daily routine of healthy living, self-growth and free expression - to establish a smooth rhythm of ever balance and symbiosis with the external environment.
This is not coming from my imagination. This is what I have experienced, and am experiencing more and more, with every single effort in this direction. You have experienced Oneness with the Universe too. Though you may forget those moments of absolute brilliance. With a constant, direct connection with the Universe, constant joy and sense of freedom are possible in this very life! No matter how unique and full of hardships your story is, which country or culture you come from, we all share common patterns of blockages which can be wiped out by collective and individual effort.Let us play. Let us make love instead of a fight. Even if we have to fight, let it be in love and for the best of both me and you. Love is the antidote to fear. When the cup is full of love, there is no space for fear. When there is no fear, there is no terrorist. There are only lovers.
We are One family. Just for once, close your eyes for 10 seconds and
imagine your Self (and your world) full of undiscriminating love and without any fear. Can you imagine this?
You can not imagine my friend. You can only know, and that too only if you have consciously experienced the Oneness and Love which is undiscriminating. The mind can only fathom what You have seen. If you haven't seen the real love in your own self, or around you, then you do not (consciously) know it my friend.
Yet, there is a hope. There is something that came before the mind. What is that? That is (the real) You. The mind constantly presents to you an idea of who I am. This idea of I, can have only an idea of love. The real you is in connect and knows love! Maybe the real you is yet to become conscious enough of itself, to feel it. But it knows everything that I am saying. It doesn't need to think or imagine.
May be your mind is not in complete understanding or agreement with what I am saying, yet are you still relating to the abstract of it, somewhere in your deeper heart? (You can try to feel it).
If yes, then in your and my heart, we have an opening. A possibility of a bridge. Travel with the wings of openness. Cross that bridge and find your own self in me like I am finding myself in you. You and I are different, and yet our essence, the very core of us, is the same. You have felt this connection with the Universe in some fleeting moments in your life. I am bringing that memory back to you, to make you remember who you truly are.
I am calling the real you Let us realise the larger Organism that you and I are. Let us integrate our differences for mutual good, rather than wipe out the ones to speak differently. When we will come together, truly together, as One, and for betterment of collective life, then we must expect the best from our life.
So, whether we live in east, middle east or west, we must unite to realise our human potential and liberate our selves and this Earth from slavery, misery and ignorance of any kind!
The seeders of the new era are sending waves of light and love onto us. You and I, our home this beautiful Earth - is going to resonate and shine in full light, like a cosmic spectacle in the history of time. Our lives may be a tiny spec in the life of this universe, yet NOW IS OUR TIME. And we will seize the moment! Future is an imagination. The past is a reflection. All you and I have is this moment, the feeling and doing of being alive. And in love with life - both inside (Me) and outside (The World, my extension).
May the best manifest in our life!
Silv3r, Saarthi (charioteer) @ Infinity, Ghoomakad hackbase
Does this resonate even a little? Let us connect
If you feel a resonance with the intent, we would love you to be a part of us, and us of you. To take things forward, you can live few weeks with us at Ghoomakad hackbase (details below), speak with a member or shoot a mail to infinity at hillhacks dot in telling about yourself, your space and your ideas. We are now open to expanding our network throughout the globe.
From 2017 onwards, [LifeMaker] will be our official medium of collaboration and self evaluation.
Ghoomakad hackbase, the ground Zero of Infinity
Ghoomakad (meaning a continuous traveller) is the first host (incubator, branch) of Infinity. It is located in village Rakkar - not exactly an agricultural hamlet anymore, especially with the onset of roads. Nonetheless, the people of the village are still open and warm as other Himalayan villagers. Thereby being a good host to Infinity space.
Ghoomakad (explorers) from all over, with various backgrounds and lines of action, knowledge and expertise live here as family, learn, share and collaborate with each other. We generally take in residents for at least one month, for a deeper engagement and relationship to happen.
Infinity space at Ghoomakad is the gate to connect explorers (seekers) from all over the world with the village life and engage in self exploration, and Infinity's local and global projects.
This network of awake people in an alive environment, with an open source sharing platform gives birth to new ideas and concepts. The community creates and carries out events, workshops and projects.
Everyone who comes here takes something from here. It is all due to the involvement of everyone with each other. Hence Ghoomakad invites such explorers who share the intention of enriched community living. And especially those, who can sow the seeds of birth of this new era.
What we expect from you
- Openness and curiosity
- Responsibility and 100% commitment
- Empathy and care
- Truthfulness and integrity
- Wake up around 6. Wake up up! :)
- Focus on your health and personal growth
- Stay aware and sensitive of your surrounding
Further, we clean, segregate waste, do gardening, cook and organise the space ourselves. There is no hired staff (anymore) We are striving for utmost self reliance. Running the house and eating together brings us closer and further gives us required break from our respective areas of focus, for creativity to emerge. We also strive for open conversations where we listen when the other speaks and take their opinion in, based on merit of reason and without half baked judgements or frustration. This means we also share our opinions openly. We also believe that a certain rhythm in life is good. Waking up at or before 6 and focusing on our health, meditation and well being in the morning hours gives us a great kickstart everyday. Everyone freely strives to make the most of every single day of their lives, playing with the framework that our environment provides.
We expect similar things from you. And you should expect the same from the Infinity environment.
What we offer
Located in a village beautifully surrounded by the mountains, rivers and forests - Infinity space at Ghoomakad offers an organic - environmental reform that makes the senses more aware and receptive facilitating Self Discovery, growth and creation.
There is wide open space with a variety of herbs, fruit, vegetables, ornate plants, wild plants, trees, grass, insects and animals.
There are two halls which can be used for artistic creativity, software development, workshops, events, musical jams, video screening etc
- a kitchen hall (Boat House, ground floor)
- a studio/workspace (Lotus, ground floor)
There are 11 rooms, 8 in Pyramid and 3 in Upper floor of Boat House. Two rooms share a bath/toilet which are equipped with hot water geysers. The halls also have a bath/toilet each.
There is a camping ground where we plant some vegetables. The camping ground has 4 toilets and two baths with water and power supply. The camping ground will soon host a self-sustainable play and make space for kids - a space for unlearning and exploration at early age. it will also have a greenhouse, starting October 2016, as a step closer to direction of being fully self-sustainable.
Apart from the space, we offer a variety and depth of talent in technology, mountain survival skills, music and gardening. You are welcome to come here and learn, while building the prototype for your dream project. Further, we have some interesting ongoing projects of the hackbase, across technology and otherwise, that we would like you to be a part of and enrich.
We have a good local support. It is a great possibility for cultural exchange, learning traditional arts and working together where one learns from one-another.
Infinity space (and hence also Ghoomakad) is an incubator or projects and people. The community helps each other out with skills, knowledge, time, money, open discussions and care. So while being here, you can get the best for both, your passionate goals, and also for your own reform.
Location and Background
Set amid the backdrop of the snow capped Dhauladhar range of the Himalayas, the hackspace/studio is located amidst natural surroundings of fresh river streams, thick woods and lush terrace fields at Rakkar, Sidhbari, 8kms from the town of Dharamshala in the North Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. The studio functions as a fusion space for nerds and artists from across the world and the locals from the Rakkar and Dharamsala community, alike.
Rakkar is an agricultural village inhabited by the indigenous shepherd community called the Gaddi and has a population of around 1500 people.
Also touched by the road, the hackbase is a witness to the overlap between the modern life, development and nature.
The triangle shaped main compound is surrounded by freshly melted, flowing water on all sides (locally called Kuhl, these are irrigation channels). There is also a fresh water pool the shape of a bow, with the water fountain coming out as the arrow. The Kuhls are good for dipping your feet. The pool is good for storing water and also for dipping your self! There is also another water fountain at Southern corner.
The main hackerspace/studio (Lotus lounge) is a hall built with mud and stone and is shaped as two Infinity symbols overlapping at orthogonal angle. It has a wooden stage on one side, a fireplace, bathroom and storage room. Up to 15 people can easily work from the studio.
The living cottage (called Pyramid because of the shape of its roof) has two floors and 8 rooms.
A third building (Boat House, traiangular) has one hall (used for dining/screenings/events) and three rooms for stay.
The garden in the compound works as a good extension to the work space and gives an ever changing, ethereal view of the mighty Dhauladhar.
Adjacent to the main compound, is a camping space with four dry compost toilets, two baths and enough ground to accommodate forty tents.
Our technology stack
- Online manifestation of Infinity LifeMaker, to be formally launched in 2017, is a web and mobile app for
- structured evaluation of our life and progress - Through daily diary
- topic based discovery, exchange and collaboration - Through #ram
- Information management system: A general purpose software - the first use case being ability to maintain a searchable archive of Dalai Lama's life and teachings - events, books, correspondence, personal assets, audio, video, photos - anything and everything about him. His team will enter the data and the world will search it online.
- An elasticsearch client in Nodejs Better performance than default elasticsearch client because of easy query batching from different places in code. Upcoming extension: Graph storage, search and aggregations through english like query language, JSON api, and CRUD with query and indexing time joins, multi lingual support.
- Proposed: A restful graph database on top of Epicsearch and an elasticsearch cluster. Delivery: 2016
- Metataste A movie discovery engine. Now down.
- In situ: Make, play and unlearning space in a self sustainable shipping container for kids and curious adults. Start: August 2016
- Greenhouse: October 2016
- In situ: Kitchen with local style mud stoves. August 2016
- Hillhacks Fourth version to be held in May/June 2017
- CodeCamp Coding, camping and yoga in Himalayas. In partnership with Jaaga
- Unicycle and electronics lab - In partnership with Jaaga and Knowledge Garden.
There is always space for visitors. Sleeping bags can can be provided to volunteers at the hackerspace itself based on availability. Private rooms with food can also be arranged at hackbase compound, or in the home stays in the village within walking distance and at reasonable rates. Volunteers are invited to help in the following domains:
- Imparting guidance and useful knowledge
- Improving or adding to the hackbase in any way
- Support to existing projects of the hackbase community
Fresh home cooked meals are prepared by the members at the space. If you don't enjoy cooking, you can clean the dishes or segregate the waste. The kitchen is open all the time. The village has basic convenience stores that can be used for most supplies. Well stocked shops and cafes are reachable within a 10-20 minute walk from Ghoomakad.
Buses to Dharamshala (9km) are available from the crossing at Ghoomakad. Raju bus crosses Ghoomakad three times a day as well. A new government bus has started to ply 3 times a day as well. More frequent bus service available on the other side of river Manoni (5 minute walk) or from Sidhbari (15 min walk)
How to get to Rakkar from outside Dharamsala? You can find the details here
Skills, Activities and Interests
- Reform for excellence
- Wholesome and healthy living
- Treks to the mountains
- Search and discovery engines
- Information management systems
- Skill training and knowledge sharing (kids, college students, anyone willing to learn)
- Music, Music, Music
- Waste management
- Last but not least: Hacking of the Self and Society
Facilities and Tools
- Camping site
- Self sustainable maker/unlearning space for children and curious adults
- Fast broadband WiFI
- Bed, breakfast, lunch and dinner. 24x7 open kitchen
- Guitars, flutes, harmonica, xylophone, jambe and other musical instruments
- Drills, saws, measuring tape
- Raspberry Pis, soldering station, multimeter and other electronic/electrical equipment
- Laundry machine
- Organic waste pit
- A wooden oven
- An extra kitchen, made local style with mud stoves, called Maikhana
- Lotus hall with a spare laptop or two
- Boathouse hall for cooking experiments, and screenings.
- Unicycles and motor bikes
Local Organizations and Communities
There is a myriad of locally available resources and skillsets that can be utilized in and around the hackerspace. Rakkar is also home to 5 organizations:
- Mindgrep, techies who arrived here first, setup this space and running the space too.
- Hillhacks, incubated at this very hackbase, this is a community of hackers without border out there to make a difference through knowledge sharing and innovative collaboration in fields of technology, art and life
- Jagori Grameen woman empowerment, organic farming and food distribution
- Nishta, an NGO which focuses on healthcare, primary education and waste management
- Dharamsala Animal Rescue
- MyEarthStore: Organic boutique shop at Sidhbari and a farm.
- Gyuto monastery, Norbulingka, and other Buddhist monasteries nearby
- There are quite a few more in the vicinity
Other Village resources
- Government run secondary school
- Nishta's computer center
- Nishtha's medinal clinic
- Grocery shops
- Clothes and curtains boutique
- Fresh dairy product - milk and cow dung
- Carpentry workshop
- Local farm produce
- Mineral water spring
- Village sports ground
- River Manoni - Freshly melted snow from Dhauladhar range, running across the length of the village. Great for baths.
- Aghanjar Mahadev Shiv temple by the Manoni river. 20 minutes walk up the road.
- Norbulignka Institute for Tibetan arts and culture, Fatehpur (1km)
- Gyuto Karmapa Monastery, Sidhbari (1km)
- Chinmaya Organization for Rural Development (CORD) , Tapovan (3km)
- McLeod Ganj, Bhagsu and Dharamkot (12km)
- Sambhaavnaa Institute of Public Policy & Politics and children's learning center , Palampur (35km)
- Andretta Pottery and Crafts Society, Palampur (45km)
- Billing paragliding area, Bir (55km)
- And more..
- Jul 13, 2013 - Cryptoparty Dharamshala
- Nov 8, 2013 - Digital Dhasa meetup number 3
- Dec 27-30, 2013 - 30C3 Congress Everywhere linked to Chaos Computer Club's 30th annual Congress in Hamburg
- Dec 27-30, 2013 - Hacked Chess tournament for the local Dharamsala community and visiting friends and hackers
- Dec 27-29, 2013 - Wikipedia Hackathon with school children and Dharamsala geek community
- Oct 10-26, 2014 - Hillhacks temporary hackerspaces and conference hall for workshops, talks and sessions around technology, art, society, earth and life
- Oct 31 - Nov 3, 2014 - Dharamsala International Film Festival To celebrate great independent cinema in the mountains
- May -June 2015 - Second Hillhacks Workshops, talks and sessions around technology, art and society. Connecting with the likeminded.
- April 4th - May 20th 2016 - CodeCamp, in collaboration with Jaaga study. We hosted a camp for around 40 programming enthusiasts to learn coding, teach coding and make their own open source applications, in a peer to peer environment.
- May 21st -June 5th 2016 - Third Hillhacks Workshops, talks and sessions around technology, art and society. Connecting with likeminded