Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) is an open source project to which many people and organisations have contributed. The SMW project is lead by its founders – Markus Krötzsch and Denny Vrandecic – who develop and maintain SMW together with a core team of project members. Below is a list of past and current contributors and contributing projects. You can also read the version history of SMW at SMW History. More information on how to get in touch with the SMW project is found at the SMW contact page.
Naturally, Semantic MediaWiki is also part of the MediaWiki project, technical infrastructure and development support for which is provided by Wikimedia Foundation and a number of contributors and supporters.
SMW project contributors
- S Page currently coordinates user support.
- Code has been contributed by many people. The following is a – most probably incomplete – list of people who (in no particular order): S Page, Kai Hüner, Fernando Correia, Yaron Koren, Nick Grandy, Jörg Heizmann, Daniel Herzig, Nikolas Iwan, Tobias Matzner, Thomas Bleher, Felix Kratzer, Daniel Friesen, Frank Dengler, Nathan R. Yergler, Fabian Howahl, Jie Bao, Marcel Gsteiger, Joel Natividad.
- Heiko Haller and Max Völkel contributed to the initial design and basic architectural decisions.
- The first prototype implementation has been done by Klaus Lassleben, funded by DocCheck GmbH.
- The new logo and related artwork for Semantic MediaWiki has been designed and realised by Rozana Vrandecic.
Translations to various languages are provided and maintained by many people. In general, main contributors can be found in the message file. Special thanks are due to Siebrand Mazeland and the Betawiki project for their excellent support in that matter.
Before moving to Betawiki, the following people already contributed significantly to translating SMW:
- The Jurispedia project has initiated and supported some of the translations:
- Translation to Arabic has been contributed by Mahmoud Zouari.
- Translation to French has been contributed by Pierre Matringe.
- Translation to Spanish has been contributed by Javier Calzada Prado and Carmen Jorge García-Reyes of Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Slovak translation has been provided by user helix84.
- Hebrew translation has been provided by Udi Oron.
- Polish translation has been provided by Łukasz Bolikowski.
- Russian translation has been provided by Дмитрий Хорошев (Dmitry Khoroshev)
- Dutch translation has been provided by Siebrand Mazeland
- Chinese translations have been provided by 張致信 (Michael Chang)
- Italian translation has been provided by Davide Eynard and David Laniado
Projects and organisations supporting SMW
Semantic MediaWiki core development is funded by Institut AIFB of Universität Karlsruhe, Germany. Specific development tasks have been carried out in a number of research and industry-based projects:
- European Union projects partly supporting further development of SMW include:
- NeOn – Lifecycle Support for Networked Ontologies
- SEKT – Semantically Enabled Knowledge Technologies (finished)
- DocCheck GmbH has supported the first prototype development.
- HP Labs Palo Alto
- Milprog AG, Switzerland
- Ontoprise GmbH has supported SMW in the context of the Halo project, funded by Vulcan Inc.
Various other people have contributed extensions for SMW. See the extensions page for more information.
Credits to other software projects
- Most icons used by Semantic MediaWiki are derived from the "Crystal Clear" icon theme for KDE, which was created by Everaldo (http://everaldo.com).
- The sorttable java script function was developed by Stuart Langridge, and taken from http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable. The current code for sorting tables is derived from this original code.
- Many people have contributed to the project by providing helpful comments and suggestions. Among them are the members of the Semantic Wiki Interest Group, the people at the project mailing lists, and, of course, a number of anonymous reviewers. Thanks a lot!
Help:SMW Project en