Hackerspaces teach classes on a wide variety of topics. Often people create their own pedagogy (class materials, teaching methods) for topics that have been well treated elsewhere. This page was created to help people from “reinventing the wheel”. Please feel free to add your own links, subpages, etc.
One impetus for creating this page was a pair of panels at Maker Faire 2011 and subsequent discussion in our mail list. The first panel at Maker Faire had three notable hackers (Jeri Elsworth, Ben Heckendorn and Mitch Altman) talking about “Education of the Future” wherein the moderator asked about hackerspaces and education. Unfortunately, the topic was not all that well addressed by the panelists. The 2nd panel "Hackerspaces: future of education" had a larger number of hacker/teachers, with moderator from http://schoolfactory.org and talked more directly about educating in hackerspaces. The lack of shared resources was noted in the Q&A and suggestion made to start this page.
- OpenMaterials -open investigation and experimentation with DIY production methods and uses of materials. check their wiki
- Spark Fun Learn education resources from Spark Fun Electronics.
- Tutorials from SparkFun
- AdaFruit has their Tutorials AdaFruit Academy pages Also check out their Forums
- Makerbot lesson plans, etc
- AutoDesk Curriculum for students
- The Khan Academy - videos and self paced tutorials on a WIDE range of topics
- OpenCourseWare on wikipedia, links to several repositories
- OpenCourseWare consortium
- MIT OpenCourseWare
- Make Education Initiative from Make Magazine
- Space Federation Education pages - part of School Factory, discussion & resources on hackerspaces & education
- Maker Pro - an active, open source platform for maker projects much like Hack A Day. These projects are centered around Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel Edison, home automation and more.
- All About Circuits - an extremely active electrical engineering online community that provides both interesting content and useful resources for Electrical Engineers.
- Escuela de Técnica y Cultura Hacker Ofrece cursos en español de liberación informática práctica, desarrollo web, scripting, y administración de sistemas.
Blog Posts and Reports
- Dsylexia Tutor:The Maker Movement and STEM Education
- Proceedings from the “Innovation, Education, and the Maker Movement” Workshop September 26 – 27, 2010 World MakerFaire NYC
- Makerbot Educators - google group