Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces/May 24 2013
BACH Meeting Notes – May 24, 2013
BACH Meeting Minutes 5/24/13
Judi, Christina, Praveen, Chad, Patrick, Marina, Vicky, Mike, Jenny, Matt, Larry, Caroline [Hayward, on phone]
- Hackerspace bootstrapping exchange volunteer program
- Building hackerspace communications infrastructure
- Planning space for Hayward hackerspace - converted car dealership
- Future sudo room: http://oaklandwiki.org/Biff%27s_Coffee_Shop
- San Leandro has gigabit infrastructure and city interest in innovation, this is a conversation that needs to occur
- Identify commonalities / value alignment and move forward from there
- "Global is a good goal but Bay Area is gonna rock" - Judi on mapping & Mycelia
- Reaching out to the different kinds of spaces and incentivizing them to attend the meetings
- "Our strength is our diversity."
- San Leandro Westgate Mall space is of interest to the city for developing a manufacturing hub
- TechShop still seeking a real business model, requires $3M startup for 3 years
- San Leandro has an economic development challenge - needing people to build infrastructure and bridge between seeding and deploying projects
- Sharing challenges (and assets) that we're facing to discover commonalities and potential for collaboration
- Timeliness - what's relevant to particular timeframes
- Discussion of pros & cons of different governance/organizational/communication structures
- Pros and cons of different legal structures
- Illuminate the ecosystem of Bay Area hackerspaces for onboarding new members
*Show and tell of concrete examples illuminating the different challenges & assets (lightening talk format) [eg; Super Happy Fun Dev House; 5 Minutes of Fame] *Formalizing vision and goals; needs assessment
- June 8th is too soon [overwhelming majority chooses June 15th]
- What about June 15th? w/ digital participation
- Potential call-in Google Hangout
- Mass: 1-3 representatives from each space would be ideal
- Roundtable as a precursor to get people on the same page
- Unconference that is self-defined
*Where should we hold the roundtable? **Noisebridge [loud, but quintessential hackerspace - would be great to intro] **Flaming Lotus Girls - BoxShop [difficult to get to via public transportation] **Instructables HQ [right near Embarcadero BART] **LOLspace [East Oakland, 20 min walk from BART]
*Newsletter will happen! [Judi & Jenny] **Expectations of what we can get out of a roundtable discussion *We need a logo! *Roundtable (first official meetup) - when and where? **Propose an unconference seeding out of the roundtable *Non-digital marketing [Judi and Vicky] *Set more concrete "DO COME TO THIS" messages for meetups *Send out communications info for meetups [point of contact], directions, and make invite list visible for coordinating rideshares etc; *Invite more folks to the BACH list
- Jenny, Vicky, Judi, Praveen, Matt [Delegation working group]
- Succinct description of what our expectations are from the roundtable discussion [lead: Vicky]
- Deadline: June 1st
- Saturday, June 15th at Noisebridge!
- 6:30-7:45pm Pre-meeting happy hour at Drake's Brewery, back corner of West Gate.
- 8:00-9:00pm Meeting. See front entrance at West Gate for details.
- West Gate San Leandro, 1933 Davis St. map
- There's a free shuttle FROM San Leandro BART to West Gate every 20 minutes. Last one leaves at 7pm. Links Shuttle
- Unfortunately no free shuttle back to BART but those of us with cars will help. It's a bit over a mile to walk or bike.
- Meeting location details will be at Drake's and at the building entrance between Office Depot and Home Depot. [File:http://hackerspaces.org/images/c/c8/Westgate.png finding the entrance]
Please list yourself if you need/can offer a ride from Oakland or San Leandro BART (name and origination point).
Second BACH Event
Goals for Event
(borrowed from first meeting)
- Comments to the SEC re: crowdfunding on behalf of BACH / Common Declaration (Eddan)
- Getting hackerspaces inter-exchanging; introducing to new spaces; networking/exchange (JC)
- Commitment from key people of different hackerspaces to convince them to participate (Tim)
- Needs assessment (Marina)
- First steps toward shared inventory / skills / projects database (Jenny)
- Needs assessment and general feedback / survey / patterns document / sociology (Matt)
- Converge, commit, feedback, interoperability
- Helping to articulate the unique and common values among the spaces.
- Saturday, June 15th at Noisebridge!