Mesh and Community Wireless
Why are you here?
- Steve: Early idea of mesh when wi-fi first came out seemed like a good idea! Why didn't it work?
- Marshall - Wants to mesh Benicia!
- Sudomeshers: Just do it!
- Carl: Wants wi-fi to cover the East Bay
- Goal: To make it possible for someone with some technical skill to deploy a mesh in a dense urban area
- Hardware: home router, omnidirectional antenna, directional antenna
- Things to consider: Fresnel zone, hidden node problem, fog, water, trees
- Friends: High-gain panel antennas
- FSO (Free Space Optics)? A: See Koruza (gigabit laser links)
- What's the backbone?
- Not dependent on a single source - decentralize all the things!
- Internet Archive has a 1Gigabit tower in Richmond
- Just got a matching donation of $3K for two AirFibers for long-distance gigabit links
- Discussion of failed mesh projects (eg Portland)