Sudo room/Tax Structure Research
(Redirected from Tax Structure Research)
- 1 Associations
- 2 Non-profit
- 3 Socially Responsible Corporations
- 4 Limited Liability Partnerships
- 5 Crowdfunding Intermediaries
- 6 Political Organizations
- Read about (high-level): Voluntary Associations, Freedom of Association, and Cooperatives, which can fall under various classifications below.
- California Unincorporated Association
- Secretary of State Business Entities FAQ.
- Review of law for Californian Unincorporated Associations (circa 2004).
Socially Responsible Corporations
- B Corporation - Structure for corporations that do social good. For more info, see this site on Couchsurfing's decision to become a B Corp.
Limited Liability Partnerships
(from Blond's Black Letter Law Outlines, 1996)
for further detail, see resources such as MyOwnBusiness.Org - Session 5: Business organization
- In a limited partnership there are two kinds of partners:
- General partners, similar to partners in a general partnership, control the management and are personally liable for partnership debts.
- Limited Partners do not participate in management and are not liable for debts beyond their initial investment
- In order the limit personal liability further, a corporation can exist as the sole general partner in a limited partnership with the limited partners acting as the officers of the corporation.
- This wall has been knocked down by some courts and held up by others with certain requirements, such as:
- the corporation also exists for other purposes;
- the state clearly allows corporations to be the sole general partner in limited partnerships;
- the limited partners act as officers in a corporate, not personal capacity; and
- the contracting parties are aware of the structure of the partnership.
Relevant Law, Uniform & California
Incorporation Services Options