Running a hackerspace is a lot of work, and a lot of spaces have rolled their own software to automate some of that work. Most of that code is not maintainable enough to be reused by other spaces.
To make things better, folks from the Metalab started their own hackerspace operating system and opensourced it. Other hackerspaces like Netzladen are already testing the software for their own use, and further development.
- Metalab OS (formerly Hackerspace OS Page)
- Nomos - A highly active hackspace member management system with Paypal integration and MQQT hooks, while handling tool/access permissions using PINs, RFID cards, or any other API calls.
- Seltzer CRM - Simple, modular, membership management tool. Live Demo GitHub
- MeMaTool - Membership Management Tool. Ldap-based member-info, payments and email administration tool.
- OAC Web Interface - Ruby on Rails membership database (including payments, certifications, and basic info) plus a web interface for the OAC Ethernet access system.
- Member Access System for Pumping Station: One
- sudo-humans (for sudoroom)
- Spaceman Spiff (abandoned but interesting)
- Hacker World Domination: A live-action, role-playing game (LARP), played on a bulletin board to gamify the operations of hackerspaces.
- Trytron: General-purpose business software covering multiple functions
This is not an exhaustive list of CRMs; it is only a list of CRMs which actual hacker/maker/coworking spaces have actually used.
These are the various financial software solutions that are being utilized by hackerspaces:
- donatr - collect and track donations
- ATX Hackerspace
- CRASH Space
- Google Docs Spreadsheet
- ATX Hackerspace
- OpenOffice Spreadsheet
- QuickBooks Online
- https://github.com/revspace/revbank (Used by Revspace, Bitlair, Hack42, TechInc, ...)
- Co-Lab(x) Makerspace
Occupancy notification solutions
- OpenDuino - syn2cat uses an arduino-php-mediawiki combo to set, and communicate the space occupancy status, the state of the inside doors and remotely toggle the alarm system.
- JigTwitch - Jigsaw_Renaissance an Adrduino + Ethernet shield packaged in a drywall junction box serving the status of the attached light switch to a Twitter account. Allowing non-keyed members of the space to see if it is open or closed.
- brmdoor - brmlab uses electronic lock, rfid card leader and couple of physical switches and LEDs to allow users to unlock the space without keys and control the space status. The brmd POE-based daemon then exports the status to web, IRC, etc.
- Cerberus-Prox - HackLab.TO uses a home-brewed solution which posts entry notifications to Twitter and IRC.
- Space Api - A Json Api to display Open/Close status and various Space informatios.
- Pamela - a network IP scanner
- The OAC Web Interface project also includes Pamela-esque functionality.
- TweetyCat - syn2cat uses a (very rough) twitter client to tweet about new wiki pages, new planet posts and status changes to its occupancy status
- GiantRobot - a tool to help with sending reminders about meetings, using plugins to communicate with upcoming.org, microblogging (twitter/identi.ca/statusnet), e-mail, IRC and Atom Blog posting.
- COD - Conference Organizing Distribution - a Drupal distro for creating a conference website with features like event signup, session proposal, session voting/judging, session selection/scheduling, and social networking prior to events.
- twiddoor 2.0 - Maschinenraum uses a LPT-Cable to tweet if the door to the hackspace is clozed or open. See @mr_door.
- GozerBot - a _very_ communicative irc/jabber bot with fleet-capability, rss-stuff, infoitems, ...
- Labelz - a system to label objects in hackerspaces using a labelprinter, with permission, ownership and other infos.
- HACCSY - Hackerspace Access Control and Check in System. Works with Seltzer CRM, running on a Raspberry Pi
- Wikispaces is a project to create out-of-the-box hackerspace wiki's.
- hexaled - Alpha One Labs uses an arduino to control 6 individual light fixtures by pointing a laser at sensors.
- Open Atrium - Used for task and todo list management.
- Chaosdorf-Admin-Toolkit - Debian package for Chaosdorf server maintenance and monitoring
- Open Access Control software and hardware - complete RFID system
- APAD (A Project A Day) - Alpha One Labs uses this extremely simple project picker to decide what to work on.
- Asana - A social networking app built simply and specifically for project management.
- PartKeepr - Electronic Component Inventory Software
- ecdb.net - Hosted web based electronics inventory (Hosted by one of the founders of Stockholm Makerspace)
- Arena PartsList - Cloud app that pulls datasheets and component information for your entire BOM in one click.