During the operation of a hackerspace, there are many questions and problems that arise from time to time. To save future spaces from having to find optimal solutions for common situations all over again, we're collecting a list of Do's and Don'ts here. Please add your experiences in the subsite for your hackerspace here. The goal is to collect the most common/best/creative solutions. Once we have enough reports here, they will form the hackerspace manual to come.
HackerSpaces: The Beginning -- the book
HackerSpaces: The Beginning -- the book zipped pdf (163MB)
- Reproducing Wealth Without Money, One 3D Printer at a Time, January 2014, Peer Production #4 "Value and Currency"
- Making Makerspaces: Creating a Business Model June 2013 Make Magazine
- Making Makerspaces: Acquiring Insurance May 2013 Make Magazine
- November 2012 Shareable article on San Francisco Bay Area hackerspaces and sudo room
- November 2011 Forbes post on hackerspaces
- November 2009 Wall Street Journal article on the hacker(space) movement
- October 2009 Pine Magazine article on the Freeside Atlanta hackerspace
- September 2009 Zurnal (SK) article on Hackeri (hackers) (engl. translation by google)
- August 2009 CRE podcast on Hackerspaces - sorry, only in German!
- August 2009 openNASA article on Hackerspaces & NASA
- July 2009 Taetowiermagazin article on hackers, tattoos, and the CCC (from SIGINT)
- July 2009 Le Monde article on 'Les nouvelles tribus du Net' - Vienna (Metalab et.al.) and Vitry-sur-Seine (/tmp/lab & Hacker Space Festival 2)
- May 2009 Make Magazine Japan article on hackerspaces.org and 4nchor5_la6
- May 2009 BoingBoing article on 'Hackerspaces and hippie crashpads' - feat. monochrom's 'Hacking The Spaces' essay. A collaborative work-in-progress on that subject can be found under Rewriting_Hacking_the_Spaces
- April 2009 Washington Post article on HacDC & the hackerspace movement
- March 2009 BoingBoing article on 'Hackerspaces around the world', a reaction to the previous Wired article
- March 2009 Wired Article on hackerspaces
- January 2009 Die Zeit article on 'Heime für Hacker' (hackerspaces) - sorry, only in German!
- Hacker's chit chat on hackerspaces, with links
- Wikipedia on Hackerspaces
- Electronics Lab What you need for an electronics lab
- Hackerspace Movement: A Plan for a New Economy
- Hackerspace Design Patterns - Thorsten Haas, Lars Weiler, Jens Ohlig - August 17, 2007
- Building a Hacker Space - Lars Weiler, Jens Ohlig - December 27, 2007
- Building a Hacker Space archive alternative @ 24c3 (2007)
- Building Hacker Spaces Everywhere - Your Excuses are Invalid torrent @ The Last HOPE (2008)
- Building an international movement: hackerspaces.org @ 25c3 (2008)
- Hackerspaces: The Legal Bases -- presented by nicolle neulist at DEFCON 17 on August 2, 2009.
- SecuraByte Ep.3 on 'HacDC and Hackerspaces', Sep. 10th, 2008
- For a list of other flicks & movies on the subject, see HackerFlicks!
- Release of Liability Form - Spaces who have a large number of individuals utilizing the space for hardware project construction should consider having participants sign a release to limit the liability of the organization in the case of an incident.
- Insurance - What is needed for liability insurance within and between different countries.
Bylaws and Regulations
If you hunt a bit around these web sites you can often find the Articles of Incorporation, NonProfit Forms, and other public documents. also note that most of these are from USA. In other countries the bylaws might be called statutes or something else (see wikipedia By-law, wikipedia Articles of Incorporation and wikipedia Charter)
- sudo room Articles of Association -- Oakland, California, United States
- Noisebridge bylaws -- San Francisco, California, United States
- Pumping Station: One bylaws -- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- HacDC -- Washington, DC, United States
- Makers Local 256 -- Huntsville, Alabama, United States
- VHS draft bylaws -- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Hive13 Bylaws - Hive13 -- Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
- Arch Reactor bylaws Arch_Reactor -- St Louis, Missouri, United States.
- ATX Hackerspace -- Austin, Texas, United States
- Labitat Guidelines -- Copenhagen Denmark
- QC_Co-Lab by-laws -- Davenport Iowa, United States
- I3 Detroit Bylaws -- Detroit, Michigan, United States
- Makelab Charleston Bylaws -- Charleston, South Carolina, United States.
- Ohm Space Bylaws -- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
- Estatuto do Garoa Hacker Clube -- São Paulo, SP, Brasil
- DFW Makers Club bylaws - DFW Makers Club -- Dallas-Forth Worth, Texas, United States
- Milwaukee Makerspace Bylaws - Milwaukee Makerspace -- Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
- Davis Makerspace bylaws - Davis Makerspace -- Davis, California, United States
- 10bitworks bylaws - 10bitworks -- San Antonio, Texas, United States
-  - Hackerspace_Charlotte -- Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
- HubCityLabs Bylaws -- HubCityLabs -- Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
- There is a hackerspaces.org email list for various hackerspace enthusiasts to talk about finances. This might include fundraising ideas, strategies, member donations, tax laws, or anything finance related.
- Design - The official hackerspaces design (logos, fliers, etc).
- Theory - A harbour for theory on hackerspaces.
- Name Ideas - Because names of existing spaces shouldn't be your only inspiration.
- Tarrant Makers
- The Hackerspace Blueprint, a living document forged in an explosion that almost took down Hackerspace.Gent.
- a timeline of the founding dates of hackerspaces
- a timeline showing the latest modification dates of hackerspaces wiki pages
This data is vastly interpretative and not to be trusted ultimately (but I figure that'd be obvious...)
basically, the full 'list of hackerspaces' to download: CSV