The general notion of government is the idea of creating a system of order so that a population can either accomplish mutual goals (like form an industrial economy) and preserve mutual interests (like personal security, etc). However, some argue that having no government can achieve those goals more efficiently or effectively. Take a look at that link if you're libertarian.
Hackerspaces are one arena were novel forms of government are being explored. But this page is for activists more than hackerspaces.
A new world government is evolving.... The failures of the existing governments are driving the development of a New World Order where war won't happen because there's a world court where diplomacy and wisdom can reign. It is happening from both an attempt from the Right to force a new world order, and the complicitness from the Left which was sipping coffee while the virtues of democracy were torn down. But behind the scenes, the coders might have found a balance.
Firstly, it should be understood what went wrong with the United States, as it had the noblest ideals and the most powerful government. Two things stand out as failed:
- Electing a federated leader by a mere simple majority makes it possible (even required) to elect incompetence to power based on the appearance of 5% of the population where the former had access to atomic weapons and billions of tax revenue.
- Elected Legislators that are paid to make laws and spend money. Every law restricts liberty, so now there's too much law and it's gone beyond their ideals of a gov't "of, by, and for the People".
So we tear it down, and start back at the beginning. ;^) See World Constitution.
Recipe to remake the existing economy, to educate the current boneheadedness of existing leaders:
- Place a table at every city park or an empty downtown building (if economy allows it), preferably those with some tourism or business activity passing by, where residents (or non-residents with a tramp card) can sell locally-made goods and handicrafts that they create with no sales tax. No business license is necessary, sellers will have to take responsibility for safety of product.
- Residents can use the table to sell things they create, but not that they bought or are reselling. They should take a picture of their pre-product work environment (cupcakes: your flour, butter, measuring spoons, tabletop, etc. -- no cheating: don't place premium chocolate in the picture if you're using non-premium brands) for buyers to evaluate your product. They should put a name with their city on their goods.
- Continue recursively upwards (park or shop for county, state, etc. economic incubation. These can be run by local civics clubs who order goods they select from more local, lower-level tables, setting the price as they choose and collecting a small percentage (1% to whomever found the good, 4% consignment fee to whomever sold it, +5% if they arrange transportation), taken from sales. All ingredients should be sourced from their locale (or perhaps made from raw materials not available locally (flour, wood not growable in area, etc.)) and be the product of the table worker's labor. Otherwise, these shops may charge and collect sales-tax based on the percentage of non-local materials used.
- As long as production is not outside the immediate family unit, it remains free of sales tax collection to incentivize young or impoverished townsfolk with the time and energy to make and sell items without the chilling effect of business licenses and sales tax.
- The idea is to incubate local economies and entrepreneurs. If someone is selling goods from flour made far away, then someone with cupcakes made with locally grown and ground flour can compete at the same table stating that fact ("made with locally ground flour").
- If a capitalist wants to commercialize the product (sell them through their large distribution networks), they have to find original seller. The civics club and city it was discovered from gets a %age royalty on margin for all goods sold afterwards, the rate set by the level on which the item was delivered: 1 level (city to county)=1%, 2 levels (city to state): 2% royalty, etc. The original seller can negotiate a fixed price or a rate with the capitalists from these figures.
- Fame and profit can follow, with kickbacks to community leaders. Congratulations!